Thursday 29 January 2015

Banana And Peanut Butter Cake

Today was my daughter's first day back at school, so I thought I'd do some baking so that she had a treat to come home to. Such a nice Mum that I am!

When I looked in the fridge, I didn't quite have enough butter for the cake I was going to make. In a stroke of genius, I thought I'd use peanut butter in its place and this delicious banana and peanut butter cake was born! Using brown sugar, instead of white, also gives it a beautiful caramel colour and intensifies the flavour.
























The peanut butter icing is absolutely amazing. Mr eat quaff laugh, who doesn't have much of a sweet tooth, claimed it was 'delicious'! If you want a smoother icing, use smooth peanut butter. I only had the crunchy version in the cupboard, but didn't mind having a few bits of nuts in mine.

If you like lots of icing on your cake, or you're likely to eat half of it straight out of the bowl (like I did) then I'd recommend making a double batch. It disappears without even knowing it! To get a bit fancy, you could decorate the top with extra roasted peanuts and some banana chips.

This cake  is yummy! Go on and make it for an after school or work treat :-)

Banana And Peanut Butter Cake


100g butter, softened
50g peanut butter
3/4 cup brown sugar
2 eggs
3 ripe bananas, mashed
1 tsp vanilla essence
1 1/2 cups SR flour, sifted
1/2 tsp bicarb soda
2 Tbs milk

Pre heat oven to 180 degrees.
Grease a cake tin with oil spray. I used a loaf tin, but you could use round or square, if you prefer.
Beat butter, peanut butter and sugar until creamy.
Add eggs, mashed banana and vanilla and beat well.
Fold in the sifted dry ingredients and milk until well combined.




Pour into the tin and smooth the top.
Bake for 35-40 mins or until golden brown and a skewer inserted in the middle comes out clean.
Cool for 5 minutes in the tin and then tip onto a cake rack to cool completely.
When cold, ice with peanut butter icing



Peanut Butter Icing

150g cream cheese, softened
2 Tbs peanut butter
3 Tbs icing sugar

Combine all ingredients in a bowl and mix until smooth and creamy.

Enjoy!




6 comments:

  1. Yum! This looks amazing. I am going to start substituting peanut butter in whenever I can!
    That icing is a winner too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think I'm going to as well. This cake was delicious! Other nut butters would probably work well too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think that the best creations often come out of making do with what ingredients you have on hand. This looks really yummy!

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a brilliant idea! Haha yes don't you love it when you start baking only to realise you don't have the ingredients!! Well, at least this fab little creation was born. Anything peanut butter flavoured is a winner with me! Thanks for joining our Fabulous Foodie Fridays party! xx

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a great idea. Some of the best ones come from situations just like this, dont you think?.

    ReplyDelete
  6. How clever! I'm not a huge peanut fan (although B is!) but I reckon macadamia butter would be an excellent substitute too! Thanks for joining the linkup again!

    ReplyDelete