Saturday 15 November 2014

Cinnamon Apple Yoghurt Cake

I don't tend to do a lot of cake baking because no one else in the house really has a sweet tooth, but a trip to the inlaws this morning gave me an excuse to try something different.

Yoghurt goes so well in cakes, because it makes them beautifully moist, so I couldn't wait to come up with a recipe using the lovely MOO Dahi Indian Style Yoghurt.

Sweet cinnamon poached apples and yoghurt are a great combination, so why not make them into a cake?




This cake was lovely and moist and had a beautiful sweetness from the poached apples. A nice surprise to have inside the cake. You could either serve it as is, or warm it up with a dollop of Dahi or even ice cream to turn it into a simple dessert.

If I was you, I'd make up a double batch of the apples so that you have extra to enjoy warmed up with a dollop of Dahi and a sprinkling of nuts or muesli for breakfast!



Cinnamon Apple Yoghurt Cake


4 Granny Smith apples (about 500g)
1/4 tsp ground cinnamon
125g butter, softened
3/4 cup caster sugar + 1tsp
2 eggs
1 cup SR flour
1/2 cup plain flour
Up to 1/4 cup milk
1/2 cup MOO Dahi yoghurt + extra to serve
1 tsp icing sugar to dust

Peel, core and coarsely chop apples.
Place in a saucepan with 1/2 cup water, cinnamon and 1 tsp caster sugar.
Bring to a simmer over medium heat and gently poach until the apples are soft, but not falling apart.




Set aside to cool and then drain over a fine sieve.
Reserve the apples and juice for later.

Preheat the oven to 170 degrees.
Grease a 20cm round cake tin and dust with flour.
In a mixer, beat butter and sugar until soft and creamy.
Add eggs one at a time and beat well between additions.




Measure out the reserved apple poaching liquid and make up to 1/4 cup with the milk. Combine this with the MOO Dahi yoghurt in a small bowl.
Fold sifted flours and milk/yoghurt mixture into the butter mixture until combined.




Spread half the mixture into prepared cake tin, top with apples and then spread remaining cake mixture over the top.




Bake in oven for 1 hour or until brown on top and a skewer inserted in the middle comes out clean.
Cool in tin for 5 minutes before turning out onto a rack to cool completely.

Serve lightly dusted with icing sugar with an extra dollop of MOO Dahi.

Enjoy!

3 comments:

  1. I've never seen or tried that yoghurt before, I'll have to keep an eye out, but I do love using yoghurt in cakes. I'm also a sucker for anything with cooked apple so this looks like a winning combination to me - I'll be pinning it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This looks and sounds wonderful. The combination of apples, cinnamon and yoghurt (all of which I love) would be perfect.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love apples and cinnamon together, such a great flavour combo and I love baking with yoghurt, it gives such a beautiful texture. I haven't seen that yoghurt either, I might just have to hunt it down!

    ReplyDelete