Monday 3 March 2014

Lunchbox Baking

As well as regular cooking, I also love to bake. As a child, my Mum would always let my sister and I help with making biscuits, cakes and slices. My favourite part was fighting over who got to lick the spoon and the beaters!

So many fun times were had around the kitchen and so many delicious treats created and eaten. Now that I have two children of my own, I'm so glad that I can keep the tradition going and bake with them too.

My daughter has just started school, so now that I have a lunchbox to fill each day, I have another excuse to get baking!

This muesli slice is so easy that you don't need any particular cooking skills to master it. It's also incredibly versatile. Use whatever dried fruit you have on hand or you know the kids will eat. If you don't have to worry about nut allergies, add some chopped nuts instead of the seeds. As long as the dry to wet ingredient ratio stays the same, you can really mix and match however you choose!




I used dried apricots, dates and sultanas in this slice as it's what I had in the cupboard. Next time I might add some dried cranberries and dark chocolate chips, for a slightly more decadent version. If you didn't have all the oats, coconut, seeds and fruit, you could equally substitute the whole lot for a good muesli. Mix and match and experiment with what you have at home. After all, thats the fun part of baking!

This slice turned out golden and crispy on the outside, with a beautifully moist centre. Just how I like a muesli slice to be. If you prefer a more crispy version, leave it in the oven for a couple of minutes longer.



Cut into small squares or larger rectangles and send the kids off to school knowing they have a wholesome treat in their lunchbox. Otherwise, keep it for yourself and enjoy with a cuppa in peace and quiet!




Easy Muesli Slice


160g butter
1/4 cup raw sugar
1 Tbs golden syrup
2 cups rolled oats
1 cup dried fruit, chopped
1/2 cup wholemeal plain flour
1/2 cup shredded coconut
1/3 cup pumpkin seeds
1/3 cup sunflower seeds
1 Tbs chia seeds
1 egg, lightly beaten
1/2 tsp vanilla essence

Preheat the oven to 180 degrees.
Grease and line a 20x30cm slice tray.
Combine butter, sugar and golden syrup in a small saucepan and heat gently until the butter has melted and the sugar has dissolved. Allow to cool slightly.
In a bowl, combine the oats, fruit, flour, coconut and seeds.
Mix the egg and vanilla into the cooled butter mix and stir to combine.
Make a well in the centre of the dry ingredients and pour in the butter mixture.
Stir to combine all the ingredients well.
Tip the mixture into the slice tray and press with the back of a spoon to flatten.
Bake for 25 minutes or until golden brown and crisped to your liking.
Allow to cool in the tin for 5 minutes, then transfer to a rack to cool completely.
When cold, cut into squares or slices.

Enjoy!


No comments:

Post a Comment