Thursday 20 March 2014

Breakfast To Go

I am not much of a breakfast person and really have no appetite until about 10am. I know I need to have something to fuel me for the morning, other than just coffee, so generally try to take something to work with me that I can eat at my desk. It saves buying an overpriced something from the cafe or reaching for a cake, muffin or other sugar laden treat.

My go-to breakfast has always been fresh fruit, yogurt and a selection of nuts and seeds. Healthy, filling and good for me. Recently I've started making my own granola. It's really like toasted muesli, but my version is full of all sorts of good stuff - seeds, nuts, dried fruit, oats and coconut oil. I used dried apricots and dates in mine, but you could use whatever takes your fancy, or whatever is in the cupboard. If you don't want to add the nuts, you can add extra seeds, coconut or dried fruit.





Eat the crispy little clumps by themselves or serve with yogurt and fresh fruit or milk. For a quick and easy dessert, use as a crumble topping over poached apple and pear. Maybe even just serve with a scoop of good vanilla ice-cream!



My Healthy Granola




2 cups rolled oats
3/4 cup chopped dried fruit
1/2 cup shredded coconut
1/4 cup pepitas
1/4 cup sunflower seeds
1/4 chopped mixed nuts
1 tsp cinnamon
2 Tbs coconut oil
3 Tbs honey

Preheat the oven to 160 degrees.
In a large bowl, combine oats, fruit, coconut, seeds, nuts and cinnamon and stir to combine.
In a small bowl, combine honey and coconut oil. If the oil is solid, microwave for 10-20 seconds to melt and stir to combine.
Pour the honey mixture into the dry ingredients and stir well to combine. 
Tip the whole lot onto two baking trays so that the mixture is evenly spread in a thin layer. You want some clumps, but not too thick, otherwise it won't crunch up nicely.
Cook in the oven for 15-20 minutes or until golden. Give the trays a shake every so often to move the clumps around a bit and stop the fruit from burning.

Allow to cool completely on the trays before packing into an airtight container.
The granola should keep for about a week, so enjoy some everyday!

1 comment: