Monday 20 October 2014

Cornelius Cheese

Most of you probably know by now that I love cheese and wine. In my world, there is nothing better than sitting down on a Saturday or Sunday afternoon with a nice bottle of wine and platter of a couple of cheeses, crackers, dried fruit and nuts. In fact that's exactly what happened at our house this weekend. 

My husband was on dinner duty and decided that a nice bottle of Port Phillip Estate Pinot Noir would go down perfectly with a Yarra Valley Dairy Black Savourine (an ashed white mould goat's cheese) and a chicken and pistachio pate. It was an absolutely lovely way to spend an afternoon.





Usually we buy our cheese from the market or from our local IGA, which stocks a really good range of Australian and international cheeses. As much as I love to go to the market, sometimes it's just not that easy to head into the city to pick up a few pieces of cheese.

When I first heard about a new cheesemonger opening in Brunswick, I was super excited because it meant that I might not have to make the trek to the city to pick up some cheese. I have been excitedly  following Cornelius Cheese on Facebook and watching their development. Today they opened their online cheese store. Yay!

This morning I dropped in to say hi to owner and self-confessed cheese nerd, Matt Steele. He very generously showed me around the cheese room and let me taste a couple of the cheeses on offer. The Brillat Savarin was chalky, but creamy, and absolutely delicious. The Beaufort D'Alpage, from the Savoie region of France, was smooth and creamy, made from raw cow's milk.



Image courtesy of Cornelius Cheese

Cornelius Cheese does not actually have a retail store, so I was very lucky that Matt let me have a look around.  He selects the best cheeses on a weekly basis and that's what's on offer through the store. Some lavosh are also available to go with the cheeses and Matt is hoping to have a small selection of other cheese-matching produce available in the near future.

All cheeses can be cut to specified sizes, of if you were catering for a large crowd, you could have a whole wheel. The cheese can be picked up directly from the 'cheese cave' in Brunswick or delivered to your home or work-place. 

Not only do Cornelius Cheese deliver beautiful cheeses to you, they will also create cheese platters for catering or cheese 'cakes' as an alternative to a wedding cake for your special celebration.



Image courtesy of Cornelius Cheese

If you live in Melbourne, I urge you to visit www.corneliuscheese.com.au to check out Matt's range of beautiful cheese. You certainly won't be disappointed!



2 comments:

  1. Wow, this sounds SO good. Have you dropped in to Harper & Blohm, next to Essendon Prince Wine Store? Also very good:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. No I haven't been there yet. It's on the ever growing list of places I want to get too!

    ReplyDelete