Monday 14 April 2014

Easter Treats

Now that it’s the week before Easter I can finally start to make some Easter treats. One of my pet hates is the fact that shops start stocking eggs, bunnies and hot cross buns a few days after Christmas. It drives me crazy!

I much prefer to make my own chocolates and hot cross buns, rather than buying something mass produced. Last year I made some rocky road, which was devoured in minutes. I must admit, it did taste pretty good!

This year I decided to make some rocky road again. It’s easy and you can really add anything you like. To make it a little bit different, I used some of my favourite chocolates in the mix. Growing up in Adelaide, FruChocs were a special treat. They are chocolate coated dried peach and apricot balls and are seriously delicious! You can now get them in milk, white or dark chocolate, but I've used the original ones. This recipe actually came from the FruChoc website, so I can’t take credit for it’s amazingness.




For some reason, if you live anywhere but South Australia, they are actually called ApriChocs. Don’t ask me why the name change. The good news is that you can buy them at your local Coles or Woolworths, in the chocolate/confectionary isle. Whatever you do, make sure you get out there and try them!

If you can’t get FruChocs, any other round chocolate or chopped up chocolate bar would work well. Maybe Maltesers for some added crunch. Make sure you do go to the effort to toast the cashews and almonds. That extra roasted flavour is amazing! I also used half milk chocolate and half dark chocolate for the coating, as I like the combination of the two.

Enjoy and Happy Easter!

 FruChoc Rocky Road




400g dark or milk chocolate, or a combination of the two, chopped
125g marshmallows, roughly chopped
125g dried apricots, chopped
100g cashews, lightly toasted and coarsely chopped
100g almonds, lightly toasted, coarsely chopped
250g Milk or Dark FruChocs, roughly chopped

Grease and line the base and sides of a rectangle slice pan with baking paper.
Place chocolate in a heat proof bowl and melt in the microwave in 30 second bursts. Stir between bursts to ensure the chocolate is melting evenly.

Place the FruChocs, marshmallows, dried apricots, cashews and almonds in a large bowl. Drizzle over the chocolate and use a metal spoon to gently stir to combine. Spoon into prepared pan.
Refrigerate for 2 hours or until chocolate has set.

Turn out onto a chopping board and use a sharp knife to cut into pieces.

Wrap in cellophane to give as a gift or store in the fridge until it is needed.




No comments:

Post a Comment