Monday 30 September 2013

S is for Scallops

After a weekend of eating sausage rolls, BBQ's and leftovers, it was high time to try something a bit more fancy. Even though this dish looks and tastes amazing, it's actually very easy to put together and doesn't require too many ingredients.

I love seafood, particularly scallops, but don't tend to eat them very often due to cost. Every so often it's nice to spash out and have something you really enjoy.

This dish was inspired by something similar that I ate years ago at Bottega, a Melbourne Italian restaurant. Here it was served as an entree with only three or four scallops, but I wanted to do it as a main course. I don't remember exactly how it was served, but I know that the sweetness of the scallops, the saltiness of the prosciutto and the creamy cauliflower puree were a match made in heaven! This is my version. I've added the rocket for a bit of greenery, but you could leave that off if you wanted to.

I don't like the roe on my scallops, so I've cut them off, but if you like the texture and flavour, you're more than welcome to leave it on. The cauliflower puree can be made in advance and then reheated just before serving. The scallops you want to cook just before serving so they don't turn rubbery. You want the pan hot enough that the edges are golden and caramelised, but the inside is barely cooked.

This dish is perfect to make when you want to impress someone or for a special occasion. It's also a great dinner party dish that doesn't require too much preparation, or time in the kitchen, when your guests have arrived and you'd prefer to be drinking!


Scallops With Cauliflower Puree and Prosciutto

20 scallops, roe removed and cleaned
1/4 cauliflower, washed and coarsely chopped
1 Tbs butter
2 Tbs milk
Salt and pepper to taste
6 thin slices of prosciutto
Olive oil and butter for frying
Rocket dressed with lemon juice and extra virgin olive oil to serve


Prepare the scallops by removing the roe and any of the obvious adductor muscle and cleaning any grit. Pat dry on absorbant paper, season and set aside.
Boil the cauliflower in water until soft. Puree in a food processor with the butter, milk and season to taste. Keep warm.
Dress rocket in a bowl with a squeeze of fresh lemon juice and extra virgin olive oil.
Dry fry prosciutto on both sides in a fry pan until crispy. Alternatively you could bake it in the oven until crispy.
When ready to eat, heat oil and a knob of butter in a frypan on medium heat. When sizzling, add seasoned scallops and cook until golden on one side. Carefully turn and cook for another 30 seconds or so until the other side is golden.

To serve, smear the cauliflower puree on the plate and decoratively place the scallops around and over it. Tear the crispy prosciutto into pieces and place on top of each scallop. Finish with a handful of the dressed rocket on top.




And to drink...

My husband would tell you that I'm not much of a Chardonnay fan, but I'm trying to change this and be a bit more adventurous with my drinking habits. I have bad memories of cheap Chardonnays that are over oaked and taste just like licking a tree trunk! Obviously better quality wine is not like that, but I just can't get over my ingrained memories.

Unwooded Chardonnay tends to be a lot more approachable and much fresher. This is the style I'd much prefer to drink. This 'Virgin Chardonnay' by one of our favourite wineries, Trevor Jones, now taken over by Kellermeister, was perfect. Being a half bottle, it was just enough for a generous glass each. It was still lively and fruity with enough acidity to cut through the richness of the scallops and the creaminess of the cauliflower. It's a shame it was only a half bottle, because it went down way too easily! Probably a good thing though.

Trevor Jones Virgin Chardonnay

2 comments:

  1. I think a semillon would go wonderfully too!! I can wait to try it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A semillon would also be perfect. I will need to try one with this dish next time.

      Delete